Spring is here, and you are preparing for the busy 2015 planting season! Ideally, you spent some time this winter organizing your farm office. But in case you did not have the chance, here are some quick organization tips to help you with last minute clean up:
1. Sort Mail – Pick a small number of categories to help sort your mail such as subscriptions (like Farm Futures Magazine), bills and invoices, letters, junk and miscellaneous. Prioritize the most important ones to address, and shred and recycle the junk!
2. Filing – If you have not yet gone paperless, avoid using your desktop as a filing cabinet. A quick and easy way to help with filing organization is to make a note on every sheet of paper as you see it with the appropriate file name. Pick filenames that you will remember; that way you can easily separate out documents for filing.
3. Password Organization – Do you remember all of those passwords for accounts that you saved over the winter? Probably not. Utilize your browser's password management or use a tool like Last Pass to help you save your passwords. No work involved; just store as you go!
4. Get Rid of the Junk Drawer – If you have a junk drawer (admit it, you have one), and there are items you have not used for several months, pitch them. It is also helpful to use trays or dividers to keep things organized.
5. Creative Containers – Utilize containers that are functional and reduce clutter like magazine file holders. In these, you can place files, books, magazines, extra cords—the possibilities are endless! They fit neatly on bookshelves.
6. Label Items – It is important to label containers and even locations on your desk to help keep you, and your colleagues, organized. As the saying goes, there is a place for everything and everything in its place.
Take few moments to get your smart office organized and ready for the busy season ahead. You will thank yourself later!
The opinions of Jessica Michael are not necessarily those of Farm Futures or the Penton Farm Progress Group.