Have you recently purchased a new computer or upgraded to Windows 8.1? In many ways, it is a big change from previous versions and you may find it difficult to navigate. Here are some tips to help your farm office navigate Windows 8.1 like a pro:
1. Bypass the Tile – The tile screen works like your start button did in previous versions, but you can bypass this screen and boot to your desktop. To do so, select the "Desktop" tile, and then right-click the taskbar and select "Properties." On the Navigation tab, you will find an option to "Go to the desktop instead of Start when I sign in."
2. Make the Tile Menu Your Own – The Tile Menu is the equivalent of the "All Programs" option of the Start Menu in previous versions of Windows. You can pin programs and apps in an order that works for you. You can also add and remove applications.
3. Pin Frequently Used Programs – You can pin frequently used programs such as your email or word processing program to your taskbar simply by right-clicking the application in the task bar.
4. Learn Keyboard Shortcuts – If you spend much time on a desktop computer or laptop, versus a tablet, familiarize yourself with basic and new keyboard shortcuts to save time.
5. Get Touchy – Microsoft intended Windows 8.1 for touch-screen devices. Check out the guide to "swipe, tap and beyond".
6. Spend Time with It – The best tip is to spend some time navigating the system yourself.
The opinions of Jessica Michael are not necessarily those of Farm Futures or the Penton Farm Progress Group.