The new year is always a time to resolve to make changes. Those changes are not limited to your health— resolve to make changes in your smart office this year! Here are some ideas to help you with your smart office resolutions:
1. I resolve to better track my business expenses. Utilize smartphone apps to track your business expenses. Many apps will integrate with your existing accounting software. You can also use notetaking software to help you keep track of important ideas and links.
2. I resolve to upgrade my smart office technology. Review and assess the existing computer equipment and technology in your farm office. You may want to convert your old files to newer ones to preserve them, utilize wireless printers or upgrade your operating system. The best part is that you can recycle most of your old technology at no cost!
3. I resolve to make computer security a priority. Utilize antivirus and security software to protect your computer systems and your privacy while you browse the internet. There are free options available online. You can include in your resolution the importance of unique passwords and password security.
4. I resolve to clean my digital and physical workspace. Make it a goal to go paperless and store your files in the cloud. You can also include your physical space—organize your desktop and utilize storage containers to keep a clean workspace throughout the year.
5. I resolve to claim my digital locations. Claim your business directory listings and social media pages. This resolution may take some time, but is an important step to helping others find your company online.
6. I resolve to utilize hands-free devices while driving. Taking your office mobile is no problem, but risking your life and the lives of others is! If you resolve to avoid texting and driving, there are resources available to help you.
The opinions of Jessica Michael are not necessarily those of Farm Futures or the Penton Farm Progress Group.