Seriously, we’ve been fortunate.
We had one day it was fit to spray and two days we sprayed anyway. That is why I’m a few days late this week. Tropical storm Bill has made this spring a nightmare.
Spraying was not an easy task. First the mental exercise of determining which fields to pursue. I don’t want to use the word abandon, but there are certainly some fields not worth further investment.
The activity of spraying wasn’t much better. Whether running partial loads to stay light, sliding around on slick spots, deciding where to cut out and go around standing water, or spraying weeds as tall as the corn, (all this while pushing to get as many acres covered as possible), it was simply exhausting.
We were using full rates of tank mix herbicides with full surfactants hoping to make a dent worth the damage. Honestly, I’d say the application was made mainly for harvest ease. We made good progress and were caught up to where we wanted to be prior to the rain this morning.
Dad was able to get nearly all the remaining nitrogen applications made here around home. I can’t imagine that being any easier than spraying. We were only short a couple of acres of Corky’s that nobody was brave enough to try at nine o’clock at night, in fear of getting it stuck. At this point in time earlier applications show the top dressed urea application looking better than the injected 28%. (Better being a relative term.)
Our farm 60 miles away at Amboy, Ind., is a different story. We hire the work custom done there. It has been a difficult spring all the way around. I saw the weather data for nearby Peru in the farm paper today. It showed rainfall since April first at over 20 inches, more than 9 inches above normal.
If you can call it a bright side, the good thing is the corn wasn’t planted until later, and isn’t that big. Maybe it does have a chance to recover. It rained .8 inches today, with more forecast. The operator says probably a week before we can get on it.
Simply because we haven’t been farming in the county very long, our APH for crop insurance isn’t very high, so we feel we must try to mitigate some of the stunting, and must pursue this crop. We have made arrangements to fly on a foliar application and hope to follow it with the Rogator and dry product in a week or 10 days. This field did have 60 units of N weed and feed, but water-logged.