The winners of the 2018 Growmark Essay Contest have been announced. The state winners of the contest for FFA members:
- Ross Tompkins of Smithboro, Illinois. Tompkins is a student at Mulberry Grove High School and a member of the Mulberry Grove FFA chapter. His FFA advisor is Matt Elam.
- Anna Campbell of Hamlin, Iowa. Campbell is a student at Audubon High School and a member of the Audubon FFA chapter. Her FFA advisor is Brittany Elmquist.
- Chloe Momphard of Troy, Missouri. Momphard is a student at Troy Buchanan High School and a member of the Troy FFA chapter. Her FFA advisor is Rob Calvin.
- Audrey Pelikan of Jefferson, Wisconsin. Pelikan is a student at Jefferson High School and a member of the Jefferson FFA chapter. Her FFA advisor is Gary Olson.
The theme of this year’s contest was “How can cooperatives demonstrate their value to the next generation of agriculturists?”
Each state’s contest winner receives a $500 award from Growmark at their state FFA convention. The winner’s FFA chapter also receives a $300 award in honor of their accomplishment.
Four runners-up in each state receive a $125 award. The runners-up and their FFA chapters:
- Brynn Bergen, Mercer County FFA, Seaton, Illinois;
- Mackenzie Brackett, LeRoy FFA, LeRoy, Illinois;
- Connor Sullivan, West Prairie FFA, Colchester, Illinois; and
- Sean Welch, ROWVA FFA, Knoxville, Illinois.
- Kanyon Huntington, East Union FFA, Afton, Iowa;
- Austin Miller, North Linn FFA, Walker, Iowa;
- Rease Morris, Collins-Maxwell FFA, Maxwell, Iowa; and
- Rebecca Wilson, Lone Tree FFA, Conesville, Iowa.
- Karli Amos, Monroe City FFA, Monroe City, Missouri;
- Cole Hammett, Ashland FFA, Ashland, Missouri;
- Alyssa Kothe, Salisbury FFA, Salisbury, Missouri; and
- Grace Owen, Norborne FFA, Norborne, Missouri.
- Kendra Gillett, Beaver Dam FFA, Fall River, Wisconsin;
- Peter Gorman, New London FFA, Manawa, Wisconsin;
- Trevor Messmer, Lake Mills FFA, Lake Mills, Wisconsin; and
- Madison Russell, Shullsburg FFA, Shullsburg, Wisconsin.
This is the 25th year for the program, sponsored by the Growmark System and FS member cooperatives, in conjunction with state FFA leaders, to help young people develop their writing skills, learn about current issues in agriculture, and understand the unique role of cooperatives.