A busy holiday week means you may have missed some news this week, here's your chance to catch up!
1. Taking care of business, in the cold. December may not go down as the coldest on record, but don't tell that to your cows, or pigs, or tractor. Taking care of cattle and equipment in the cold was a hot topic for blogger Amanda Radke, BEEF Daily. She offers some tips as temps keep dropping.
2. Looking back on the RFS. The Renewable Fuel Standard has been in the news a lot lately thanks to that EPA move to reduce biofuel needs. The folks at the Renewable Fuels Association offer a six-year retrospective on what the measure has meant.
3. Cover crops an underused stewardship tool? You could say 2013 was the year farmers rediscovered covered crops. Blogger Elton Robinson - Delta Farm Press - offers some perspective on the concept this week noting that only a small percentage of ground is planted to cover crops. There's room for improvement.
4. China corn import worries. China has rejected import shipments of U.S. corn-based dried distillers grains totaling more than 500,000 tons due to claims the DDGs have unlicensed GMO content. It's causing a stir in the grain trade.
5. Congress in review - really. So how does 2013 shape up from the perspective of work in Washington D.C.? Blogger Jacqui Fatka says it best with her headline - Congress Sleeping on the Job.
6. CRP changes ahead? We take on the question of what USDA is planning for the Conservation Reserve Program in a special Farm Program FAQ report from Wallaces Farmer. You have until Jan. 13, 2014 to comment.
7. Getting the story straight. Blogger Holly Spangler tells the story of a fellow blogger's post that went viral and what that all really means. Here Q&A with Dairy Carrie offers insight into how farmers can tell their whole story.
And your bonus:
A little "Perry-dy" for the holiday week. Our friends the Peterson Farm Bros. had a little fun with a very popular Katy Perry song - Roar. They've turned it into Chore. If you missed it - spend 5 minutes taking a listen. And enjoy!
P.S. Have a resolution for 2014? Got a topic you want us to cover? Tweet to @farmdaily or share on our Facebook page